Death Knell for Magento 2?

Last night, Dimitri Gatowski, Director technology at nextcommerce and someone who has been dealing with Enterprise-scale Magento solutions from the early days, has summed up what in his opinion has happened since Magento got fully acquired by eBay about nine months ago. Beside other issues, his post deals with the question: What will the future of Magento 2 be?

Let’s recap: When Magento hit the scene in 2008, it was nothing short of a revelation: OpenSource ecommerce was dominated by obsolete spaghetti code monsters. A modern system with a clever architecture, making it possible to build great online stores with, was long overdue. Today, there have been more than 5 million downloads of the software, and there are more than 5,000 third party apps which can be used to tailor the Magento software to individual needs.

Allegedly though, Magento has not been a big financial success, which seems to have been the reason why only after two respectively after three years, Magento has looked for an exit and got acquired by eBay. A modern ecommerce system which overthrew the whole market in no time getting in bed with the ecommerce dinosaur, how does this go together? – This was the question that circled through the community at the time.

Magento respectively eBay had two answers for them. One was X.commerce, a framework that allows interconnecting ecommerce service providers, the other was Magento 2, the sequel to the successful software that should improve a lot of things especially developers had been complaining about. Together with the announcement that work was started regarding the new Magento version, the company also claimed to be transparent throughout the development process. Which, as Gatowski states, has not been the case yet:

I would say that there could be some more transparency than that! At least we still have GitHub: https://github.com/magento/magento2. Unfortunately, the development is not based on GitHub, there are only a couple of merges into GitHub. The last one was a couple of days ago, the commit before that was in the end of December 2011!

In fact, this is the reason why I’m writing this post. I’ve looked into the GitHub project about 4 or 5 days ago and until then the last commit was still from 2011 which concerned me a lot!

Also, other facts from his post suggest: Magento 2 is dead. The fact that eBay/Magento have yet failed to provide access details to enable external developers to see and judge the status of Magento 2 is not a coincidence – as if a company of that size did not know how to communicate credentials for development tracking systems such as Jira and Crucible! In my opinion, what will happen in the mid term is that improvements that were planned for Magento 2 will be turned into extra modules and additions for the “usual” Magento 1.x series. Thus, maybe we will see Magento reach the 2 version number, however, not in the context of a transparent, user-particpation model, but rather the usual, core-team led evolutionary process we have been seeing in the past years.

(Image by dok1)

12 Responses to Death Knell for Magento 2?

1. Vinai says:

Ach Roman, deine Anti-Magento rants werden langsam alt. Und die Titel waren auch schon aussagekräftiger gewählt. Dimitries Post ist klasse, aber deine Folgerungen lassen dich mittlerweile wie einem “Magentountergangs-Propheten” mit der gleichen Glaubwürdigkeit wie die Weltunterganzspropheten erscheinen.
    Ich empfehle etwas echte recherche cor dem schreiben eines rants.

• Roman says:

Hey Vinai, not sure why you have a go at me personally – is this because you now take everything Magento-related personal? Granted, this post is not a balanced, thoroughly researched piece and is entirely based on the information I have, a bit of common sense, a bit of gut feeling and a pinch of polemics – wide open for discussion, criticism and complaint.
      And if I’m so far off: As a Magento employee you are very welcome to correct me and tell us and the world what’s the latest with Magento 2 ;-)

2. Lukas says:

I quite agree that this post is very speculative and gloomy. The thing is though is that Magento is leaving so much room for speculation that it opens the door for this kind of post. And if you are an OSS developer than this lack of openness and communication can incite quite a bit if gloom.

3. Vinai says:

I’m not answering in any official role, just my purely personal self, Vinai, who has known you since 2008, and who considers you a personal friend, so I’m answering on a personal level. I keep asking myself – what do you gain from posts like this? Just post to provoke reactions? I guess I’m simply used to a broader perspective of yours. I feel disappointed, not because you criticise Magento, but because of the way you do so. Lets skype tomorrow!

4. Ben says:

You can get some perspective from core team here: https://twitter.com/#!/zerkella

5. davidztodd says:

Hey nice way of sharing about Magento. Keep Sharing… Thanks!

6. by the way, I highly recommend to read the comments in the original article, which make the picture a bit more complete.

Great article of Dimitri anyway and a bit too much speculation from Roman .. but that’s what rants are for, hey :)

7. Alexander says:

I find Magento is on a good way. Sure, Magento had like all OpenSource systems on the first versions a lot of bugs and not all running correct but it will be better with every new version. I must say, since Version 1.5 the Upgrades running good and the offer of extensions is more better. The once alternative for me is Oxid eSales but the problem here is, only in Germany knows the most developers this Shopsystem. And if you want invest, then you can buy licenses for Java based hybris, intershop infinity or others. The once problem of Magento which i not find well is that the usability of products administration and the slow performance like the structure but the performance you can improve with the right Server, Configuration and Caching. Good idea of Magento 2 is that they want to switch the JavaScript Library from Prototype JS to jQuery. For zalando.de, enamora.de and few more was Magento in the first years good enough ;) … and zalando.de worked with the free OpenSource Edition of Magento.

8. Pingback: Thoughts on Meet Magento 6.12 « ecomPunk

9. Pingback: Wie passt Magento in die Strategie von ebay inc. | Netresearch App Factory Broadcast

10. Pingback: Wie ist der Stand der Dinge bei Magento, OXID und Shopware? -

11. Pingback: Wie ist der Stand der Dinge bei Magento, OXID und Shopware? | $Shop->Tech('Blog')